Tuesday, November 29, 2011

A break after the break. . .

I have been taking a Thanksgiving break - not from God’s Word, but from writing! When I sat down yesterday morning to start back up in this chapter of Genesis, I saw an email from one of my sister, Susie, telling me about some tragic news that had been delivered to our sister, Jodi. You may remember that 2011 has been a “Job” year for Jodi. Within 24 hours, back in March, she learned that she had cancer and that her 35 year old son, Justin, had died suddenly. Later, this summer, her eldest son, Jenner, and his family (which includes five of Jodi’s grandchildren) moved from Denver (where Jodi lives) to Florida - another loss. Well, yesterday we learned that Jodi’s best friend of about 40 years was killed in a car crash over the weekend. When I saw that news in the email, I was stunned! How can there be MORE bad news piled on??

So, instead of writing yesterday morning, I called Jodi. She is devastated by the loss of this precious friend, a woman with whom Jodi raised her children and in whom she could confide anything. Furthermore, another of her dearest friends is moving away from Denver this weekend. What can you say to someone who has been through so much? God knows her sorrow and grieves with her. All of these things which have been so shocking to her system did NOT take our sovereign God by surprise. So, I know He will be her rock, her fortress, her strength, her deliverer. Jodi is cancer-free right now, and the loss of Justin has been tempered by the joy of the birth of Justin’s baby girl, Johnna. So, I’m thanking God for some amazing sunshine in the midst of the sorrow. This has truly been a year of needing to offer the SACRIFICE of praise!

And it brought to my mind two special scriptures:

Though the fig tree does not bud
 
   and there are no grapes on the vines, 

though the olive crop fails
 
   and the fields produce no food, 

though there are no sheep in the pen
 
   and no cattle in the stalls, 
yet I will rejoice in the LORD,
 
   I will be joyful in God my Savior. - Habakkuk 3:17-18

Though he slay me, yet will I hope in him... Job 13:15

And that is exactly what is meant by the “sacrifice” of praise!

Please pray for my sister in this latest loss and for the Baer family, who lost their mother and grandmother.  May God redeem this situation for His glory.

Tomorrow we will finish looking at Jacob’s blessings to the rest of his sons (except for Joseph’s blessing, because that one will take a few days). Then we will move to the end of Genesis, finishing up with chapter 50 as we head toward Christmas! Thank you for meeting Him in the morning with me!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment