Wednesday, March 21, 2012

On overload, but thankful God never is!

Some of you have received the email I quickly sent out by phone late Sunday night as Don and I raced out to Palm Desert to be with his mother, Evelyn, who was in ICU at Eisenhower Medical Center in kidney failure. We got the news Sunday evening that she had coded, they had brought her back with CPR, but she was unresponsive, on a ventilator, and the doctor did not think she would last more than a few hours. So we packed up and headed out at 11:00 p.m. Don’s brother, Dave, and his wife, Nancy (who is the angel in our family) met us there from San Diego. We arrived there at about 12:30, which was a miracle in itself, as it is a 2 1/2 hr. drive and Don usually drives like an old lady.

We were at her bedside until 4:00 a.m., then decided to grab a couple of hours of sleep. So we all checked into a hotel and literally got two hours of sleep, showered, ate a quick breakfast, and went back to her bedside. They removed the ventilator and we stayed by her bed until she died at 11:00 a.m. It was a very sad moment, but we are grateful that she did not suffer and that it went quickly. What made it a particularly sad moment is that there were so many unresolved issues with my mother-in-law... Not a good ending... I’m sure many of you can relate.

We spent all day Monday and yesterday taking care of business, finding papers, bills, etc. and making arrangements. Our two girls, Molly and Emmy, came to the desert to be with their dad and help, which was amazing. Much was accomplished and we headed back home late yesterday afternoon to tell Don’s dad about her passing. You may remember that Frank, Don’s father, is living near us in an assisted living home. He has not seen his wife for any length of time for nearly two years (another long story). He was devastated, but we spent a long time with him and Dave and Nancy reminiscing about happier times.

So, I’m on my way to school this morning, very tired, but glad to be back to some semblance of normalcy. Still much to do and lots of emotions to work through. God was so faithful to allow us to accomplish much, but especially to be with Evelyn at the end. Your prayers for Frank, Don, Dave, and the rest of the family as we make arrangements for burial and a service would be so appreciated!

Wanted to also let you know that Royce will be having his heart surgery sometime this week. I’ll keep you informed. That is just a miracle, as they expected to have to wait for six weeks! Pray for his surgeons and for strength and peace for this family. May God fully restore this little guy’s heart!

Bridget is doing well after her eye surgery. Keep praying that there will be no infection during this healing period.

Finally, the funeral services for Megan Gerhard will be this Saturday. Her baby boy, Tosh, is still in intensive care at Children’s Hospital of Orange, which is a half hour from home. Pray that he will be released to the local Children’s Hospital this week. This family is in such shock! Please keep lifting them up!

So grateful we have a God Who can bear all of our burdens!  We will be back to John tomorrow... Love you all!


No comments:

Post a Comment