Wednesday, May 9, 2012

John 12:37-43

Even after Jesus had done all these miraculous signs in their presence, they still would not believe in him. (John 12:37)

John tells us, in chapter 20, verses 30-31, that Jesus did many more miracles. But he chose to write about certain ones in order that we might believe. Even though these crowds had seen more than enough evidence, including the resurrection of Lazarus, they would not believe. It’s not that they, or anyone else, would be convinced if they just had enough evidence. There is PLENTY of evidence that Jesus is the Son of God and God the Son. It’s not that they CAN’T believe, it’s that they WON’T believe. Well, Jon Courson writes that if people WON’T believe, eventually there will come a day when they CAN’T believe, because God will close their eyes to the truth. And John tells us that very thing in this passage:

For this reason they could not believe, because, as Isaiah says elsewhere: 
“He has blinded their eyes

    and deadened their hearts,

so they can neither see with their eyes,

    nor understand with their hearts,

    nor turn—and I would heal them.” 


 Isaiah said this because he saw Jesus’ glory and spoke about him. (vs.39-41)

This is a sobering truth. You can reject the message of Christ only so many times before God will harden your heart so that you CAN’T believe!

When I was a teenager and in college, I was approached three times by those “pesky” Campus Crusade for Christ people that confronted kids on the beach during spring break or on campus at UCLA with the “Four Spiritual Laws” tract! [You need to know that I now financially support two missionaries for this organization :) ] Each time I somehow got rid of them without them “closing the deal.”

I was even once accosted by a hippie member of the cult “Children of God” on Bruin Walk one day. Now HE was persistent!! He was part of this group out of Texas that went around the country in a hippie bus picking up teens from college campuses to join their cult. Just to get rid of him, I prayed with him to receive Christ right there in the middle of campus! He instructed me afterwards to meet him the next morning to get on the bus! He called my sorority house looking for me the next morning when I didn’t show. My sorority sister informed him that I was at the football game. He was angry and said, “She’s supposed to be with us telling people about Jesus!” My sorority sister answered, “Maybe she’s telling people about Jesus at the football game!”

I laugh about that now, but it scares me to think how many times I did not want to be “bothered” with the truth! There came a day, however, when I knew for certain that I needed to make a real decision. When my older daughter, Molly, was a baby, I realized how important it was that I raise her the right way. I desperately wanted to raise her in the Truth - and I knew there could only be one, since God is not a God of confusion. There couldn’t be MANY different, conflicting ways to God. During my search, I met a woman who read convincing scriptures to me, and she ended with Revelation 3:20:

Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me. (KJV)

Somehow I KNEW when she read that verse that if I said, “No,” to this invitation, I would truly be saying, “NO,” and closing the door of my heart. I’m so thankful to God that He was so patient with me and that He had not already hardened my heart to the point that I could not believe!

How about you? Have you heard the gospel message many times and not responded because it just wasn’t the right time, you didn’t want to be bothered, or you were afraid you’d become one of those “Jesus freaks?” Don’t mess with God! If you continue to say “No,” there will come a day when you CANNOT say, “Yes!”    

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for not being afraid to speak the Truth!

    ReplyDelete