Monday, June 4, 2012

John 14:15-20

Friday we looked at the one verse in which Jesus tells His disciples that loving Him means obedience to His commands. Love and obedience must go together. Because we love God, we want to obey Him. But it is so hard! In fact, sometimes, it is downright impossible! When we’ve been told to forgive seventy times seven (in other words, we need to keep on forgiving), but someone has betrayed us yet again, how can we do it?? We can’t! But God can. With Him nothing is impossible. So what is the secret? Jesus tells His disciples in today’s passage:

“If you love me, you will obey what I command.  And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever—  the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you.  I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you.  Before long, the world will not see me anymore, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live.  On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you.” (John 14:15-20)

In the King James Version, the word used for Counselor is Comforter. The Greek word is parakletos, which means “someone who comes alongside.” The Holy Spirit, promised here by Jesus, is the One who comes alongside us to comfort, to counsel, to lead us into truth. He is the One who reveals to us who Jesus is (“...I am in the Father...”) and He is the One who assures our hearts that Jesus is in us and we are in Him. (vs. 20)

When we receive Christ as our Savior, we also receive the Holy Spirit. He comes to live with and in us - FOREVER. We are not helpless in this world. We are enabled by the power of the Holy Spirit to obey what God has asked us to do. What seems impossible to us, is possible through the Holy Spirit. When someone has hurt us, it is the Holy Spirit who gives us the power to forgive. It is the Holy Spirit who speaks to us and reminds us to let go of all pride and be reconciled.

Where do you need to see the power of the Holy Spirit in your life? In your marriage? At your job? As a parent? Where do things seem absolutely impossible with no hope? Take heart! You have the power of the Holy Spirit living in you. The same Spirit who raised Jesus from the dead is within you and will enable you to overcome. He comes alongside you to strengthen and encourage you. I experienced that help on Friday, which began horrifically, but ended in victory and with glory to God.  The Holy Spirit was with me and enabled me. Ask Him to do that for you today!  

No comments:

Post a Comment