Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Proverbs 8: Choose Wisdom!

Lately I haven’t been feeling like myself. Usually I’m very upbeat, energetic, and excited about life. My sisters think I’m somewhat of a Pollyanna! But this year has been one of the most difficult for me, and I find myself exhausted, physically and emotionally. On many mornings it has been a real struggle to sit myself down in front of the computer to get into and write about God’s Word. I haven’t really felt like it! Even though I treasure God’s Word, it has been a real battle with my will every morning. I’ve sometimes just gritted my teeth and said, “Okay, LORD, you know I don’t want to be here, so you are going to need to really help me this morning!”

I’m so thankful that God taught me early on in my walk with Him that I cannot go by my feelings, but only by the truth of His Word. My pastor reminded us this past Sunday, “The truest thing about you is what God says is true!” Regardless of how I’m feeling, God is ALWAYS with me and working on my behalf. When I’m feeling unlovable, His Word reminds me that He loved me so much that He sent His Son to die for me, so that I could be with Him for eternity. His Word assures me that He is deeply involved in every aspect of my life - He even counts the very heads on my head.

So when voices are calling me away, when feelings distract me or overwhelm me, I need to pay particular attention to His voice, the voice of Wisdom, that Solomon promises is calling out to me:

“To you, O men, I call out;

    I raise my voice to all mankind.  
You who are simple, gain prudence;

    you who are foolish, gain understanding.  
Listen, for I have worthy things to say;

    I open my lips to speak what is right.  
My mouth speaks what is true... (Proverbs 8:4-7a)

Even simple people like me can gain understanding and wisdom, and be able to discern what is really true if we will just listen!

Choose my instruction instead of silver,

    knowledge rather than choice gold,  
for wisdom is more precious than rubies,

    and nothing you desire can compare with her... 
 With me are riches and honor,

    enduring wealth and prosperity.  
My fruit is better than fine gold;

    what I yield surpasses choice silver.  
I walk in the way of righteousness,

    along the paths of justice,  
bestowing wealth on those who love me

    and making their treasuries full. (vs. 10-11, 18-21)

There is a choice laid out before me every morning. I can choose to listen to my feelings and set aside God’s Word, or I can choose the only thing that will really satisfy me and encourage me, and I can dig into it’s riches. I want my treasury to be full to overflowing. And that’s the life that God promises me, if I will only choose it! It’s why I continue to meet Him in the morning - even when I don’t feel like it! Can you identify??
  

No comments:

Post a Comment