Monday, December 9, 2013

Proverbs 31: 1 A Mama’s boy?

I’m so excited to finally be at this last chapter of Proverbs. If you are a woman who has been around the Bible for any length of time, you are probably familiar with the last half of this chapter which tells of the “excellent wife,” or the “virtuous woman,” as the King James Version calls her. We will get there soon, but I first have to focus on the first verse, which I have never noticed!

The words of King Lemuel. An oracle that his mother taught him... 

Now, first off, this chapter claims to be authored by King Lemuel, whose name means belonging to God. Most Jewish scholars and Bible scholars believe that this was Bathsheba’s pet name for her son, Solomon. Regardless, the first nine verses, at least, are considered the advice of a mother to her son. In that case, I don’t see why we might not also attribute the last 22 verses to her, as well, as advice about the type of woman her son should marry. After all, isn’t that the most important advice a mother would pass on to her son??

I’m the youngest of four girls, and had two daughters, so it wasn’t until I had my first grandson, Beau, that I finally got the whole mother/son relationship. It’s completely different. It’s a very strong bond, and I finally see why mothers of sons have a bit more difficulty in the mother-in-law arena! So, as I read this chapter, it’s with the thought that this is advice I would pass on to my two wonderful grandsons - especially those last 22 verses. I want them to find “excellent wives!” And certainly I want them to stay away from corrupting women! :)

Knowing this wisdom comes from a mother, just gives me a different take on this chapter. So, I’m anxious to get into it - and we will begin tomorrow!  

No comments:

Post a Comment