Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Genesis 3:6-7

Good morning, guys!

In yesterday's verses we saw Eve engaging in discussion with Satan, as he put doubts in her mind about God and His Word. So today we see the results:


When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it. She also gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate it. Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they realized they were naked; so they sewed fig leaves together and made coverings for themselves.

This reminded me of ! John 2:16, then I saw that was the exact verse Jon Courson refers to in his commentary. In 1 John 2:16 we read that sin falls into three categories: the lust of the flesh (it tastes good or satisfies physical needs); the lust of the eyes (it's easy to look at); and the pride of life (it'll make you wise or important). These are the exact temptations Eve faced. Notice that it doesn't say she sought the advice of either God or Adam before taking the fruit - she just reacted to the temptation. She didn't hesitate once she had listened to Satan - she took some and ate it! And then, because misery loves company, she gave some to Adam, who immediately ate it himself. Surely Adam bore more responsibility. We are told Eve was deceived, but Adam just took it from her. Courson says that, by joining in with her, he was saying, "I want to be with Eve more than I want to obey God." That makes me immediately stop and ask myself what things or habits do I hold onto because I want them more than I want fellowship with God?? Before I slam Adam and Eve, I have to be real and know that surely I would have done the same thing!!! The temptation to become godlike in knowledge would be awfully strong!!

We immediately see the consequences of their choices: Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they realized they were naked; so they sewed fig leaves together and made coverings for themselves.

Rather than seek out God, repent, and confess, they immediately cover themselves up - try to cover over their sin by their own efforts. God would be the one to provide salvation (vs. 21), but they, like we do, tried to do it themselves - in their own power. Boy! This hits close to home for me this week - trying to cover up rather than fessing up! There are so many lessons in this one chapter! Chime in here with what you see!

No comments:

Post a Comment