Friday, September 14, 2012

John 17:24-26 & some prayer updates

I first want to update you on some of those we are praying for. I received the following from Jacob’s mom, Lori:

Jacob is home.  We had an appointment today and his white blood count is super low, but that is expected.  We will work on getting him strong over this week and next.  He will be admitted again on the 24th for a week to start his second round of chemo.  

Karen has been given a date for her kidney transplant! She writes, Kristen and I will both have our final cross match appointments on October 22nd and as long as everything looks good we are scheduled for the transplant on Tuesday, November 13th. 

Gavyn had a setback yesterday. He lost consciousness and was rushed to the hospital. After many tests and scans, the good news was that there was no problem with his brain and there had not been a seizure. However, his blood pressure is very low. His mom reports that they were hoping to get his blood pressure regulated through the night in order that he be discharged in time to perform at The Taste of Newport late today! Singing is Gavyn’s passion, so this means so much to him.

Please continue to pray for protection for the health of these three!! Pray that God would make Himself so present in their lives and that He would be glorified!

And now we come to the the end of Jesus' precious prayer to His Father. This is what John records of His prayer just prior to being arrested:

“Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, and to see my glory, the glory you have given me because you loved me before the creation of the world.

“Righteous Father, though the world does not know you, I know you, and they know that you have sent me.  I have made you known to them, and will continue to make you known in order that the love you have for me may be in them and that I myself may be in them.” (John 17:24-26)

Oh, how wonderful to know that Jesus wants us to be with Him in Heaven! That is our promise and glorious hope! (John 14:1-3) Jesus affirms that He has indeed made the Father known to the disciples - not only by His presence on earth, by what He did here, but also by what He declared. He made God known to us in order that we might experience and demonstrate the love of the Father. We cannot know God or get to God the Father, except through the Son (John 14:6). And eternal life is found in knowing God, having that personal relationship with Him. (John 17:3)

Jesus had completed His earthly ministry. All that was left was to finish the work on the Cross. Having poured out His heart to the Father, he was resolute in facing what was next: being separated from the Father as he bore the punishment for all of the sins of the world, past, present, and future.

We need to keep this prayer before us as our reminder that He anguished over the urgent desire that we would be sanctified by His Word, that we would be unified in heart and purpose, and that we would demonstrate the same love that the Father has for the Son. These were Christ’s priorities for us. They need to be our priorities, too.  

No comments:

Post a Comment