Thursday, February 14, 2013

His love endures forever! Happy Valentine's Day!

Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good;

    his love endures forever. (Psalm 118:1)

Valentine’s Day is a day of high expectations - and, therefore, sometimes a day that disappoints! Don and I somehow both agreed when we were first married that we would not be bound by commercial holidays, so Valentine’s Day has NEVER been a big day for us. I just like the way he has shown me over and over during the past 42 years how much he loves me by what he does for me daily. We are nowhere close to having the perfect marriage, and there have been many times when we have looked at each other and thought, “How did I get stuck with you??” However, I have never doubted his love and commitment to me EVER! And in that way, he truly has modeled God’s love for me!

So we don’t do the hearts and flower thing at home. But school is another matter! I LOVE this day with the kids! They get so excited (even in the upper grades) to pass out their Valentine’s and candy! They come with boxes decorated with hearts and doilies, with the mandatory slot for receiving their mail. Parents come with heart-shaped cookies and all kinds of gooey frosting and unhealthy treats to pile on the cookies. Luckily, we always celebrate at the end of the school day, so they head off to their parents on the sugar high! I’m pretty sure that a couple of days a year (Valentine’s Day and Halloween) sugar is good for you!

The celebration is fun, and receiving Valentines seems affirming to students and teacher alike - even if your name isn’t on the card and it just has a quick signature from a student! :) But it comes nowhere close to the love of God that flows over us 24/7, day after day, year after year, into eternity! I’m overwhelmed that His love for me is constant and unchanging, and does not depend on my worth - but actually gives me my worth! He isn’t surprised by my unfaithfulness - He expects it! That’s why He sent His Son!

I did nothing to deserve His love. I’ve pretty much disappointed on a daily basis. Yet His love has been poured over me continually. He loves me so much that He refuses to leave me the way I am. So He is slowly transforming me into His image - and He promises me that, when I finally see Him face-to-face, I will be like Him. I will finally see the family resemblance! So, enjoy the day! Celebrate with hearts and flowers! But should you be disappointed somehow today, remember that our Heavenly Father loves us beyond all measure - even knowing us better than anyone! Oh, give thanks to the LORD, for He is good! His love endures FOREVER!

Happy Valentine’s Day!  

1 comment:

  1. You can also consider negotiating the terms of mileage.
    Make sure that the vehicle has a valid Road Fund Licence at
    all times - this may be chargeable after the first year8.
    If a dealer tells you that it is not or unwilling to do so… they are plenty
    of other vehicles and dealers that offer and will.



    Here is my web blog :: Van Leasing

    ReplyDelete