Monday, November 4, 2013

Proverbs 28:26 Lord, what do you want me to do?

Whoever trusts in his own mind is a fool,

    but he who walks in wisdom will be delivered. (Proverbs 28:26)

Doesn’t this verse remind you of teenagers??? I always thought the word sophomore was a perfect description for teens in their second year of high school, because they are just cocky enough to believe they know everything. When Emmy was in high school she bought a refrigerator magnet for her dad for Christmas that said “Better ask your teenager while they still know everything.” Of course!  We wrapped it up and gave it back to he when she turned 20!

When I read this verse to Molly, she said it sounded like politicians. But I think politicians don’t rely on their own minds - they rely on pollsters to determine the mind of the public. Majority determines which way the politician leans! Hmm... the minds of several fools?

But this verse from Proverbs tells us that those who are truly wise understands how much they need the wisdom of God and the counsel of His Word. I like that this verse does NOT say “Whoever uses his own mind is a fool.” God has given us brains with which to think. He’s given us senses to use in making daily decisions. We look at situations, we listen to arguments, we have feelings that we weigh when considering choices we make. God is the Creator of logic and reason, and He has given us the capacity to also use these in order to function well. So, we make our list of pros and cons when confronted with a major decision.

However, this verse tells us that we can’t trust our minds alone. We need to walk in wisdom. We need to garner as much wisdom as we can from God’s Word. The whole counsel of His Word. Does what we are choosing to do fit with the character of God? Is it loving? forgiving? compassionate? self-sacrificing? Will it glorify God? Or will someone be hurt by it?

Many of our decisions are not Kingdom kinds of choices [for instance, choices that would impact our witness or where we or someone else will spend eternity]. We may be struggling over which job to take or whether or not to move. Sometimes we get paralyzed in decision-making over these issues, because we want to know what God’s exact will is. If you are wrestling with just these kinds of things, trust God to make His way for you clear. If your ultimate goal is to do His will and to glorify Him, He knows that. He’s is not going to allow you to fall of a cliff - unless He designed that cliff with your name on it to help transform you. :)

Steep yourself in His Word, so that you will be open to receiving direction from God. Pray about your decision and discuss it with godly mentors, who might be able to give you some specific direction from God’s Word. Then trust God to open or close doors as needed.

When I was deciding whether or not to go back to school to become a teacher, I really felt God calling me, but I wanted it confirmed - in 100 ways, apparently, because, looking back, He had made it crystal clear. But what I was looking for was a specific scripture that would let me know without a doubt! I could have waited and waited for that scripture and delayed taking any action, but I knew that God wanted the best for me, and He would not let me do something disastrous. If I moved ahead, and it wasn’t His will, He would close doors or at least redeem my wrong choice somehow (Romans 8:28). 

So, I prayed, “LORD, I’m going to go up to Fullerton tomorrow and register for classes. If you do not want me to do that, You are going to need to make that very clear. Unless I see a sign that says, ‘Sally White, of Laguna Niguel [in case there was another Sally White], go home,’ I am signing up, because I believe this is what you want for me.” I think sometimes God just wants us to step out in faith and trust Him to undergird us.

Finally, I received the exact verse I needed - even though it seems like a random verse. I was studying the book of Matthew, and had come to chapter 14:22-33, in which Jesus walks on water toward the disciples in the boat. As I read verses 28-29, I immediately felt the confirmation I was seeking:

And Peter answered him, “Lord, if it is you, command me to come to you on the water.”  He said, “Come.” So Peter got out of the boat and walked on the water and came to Jesus.

Like Peter, I had been wondering if it truly was the LORD calling me. And these simple verses just popped out and assured me that God was calling me to come - to jump out of the boat and walk - keeping my eyes on Him! It seems like such a silly verse, but it was exactly what I needed for confirmation. God is so gracious to give us an assist to our weak faith! Trust Him to do that for you!  


No comments:

Post a Comment