Friday, March 29, 2013

Good Friday! The curtain is torn!

Because it’s Good Friday, I want to focus today on what Jesus did for us on the cross. It’s incomprehensible to me that Jesus died for me while I was yet a miserable sinner, completely ignoring Him! Even though I would have been considered a “nice” person, there was really nothing righteous about me before I gave my life to Christ! And when He died on the cross He took on not only the punishment for all of my sins, but for those of the whole world, past, present, and future. No wonder “darkness came over all the land” while he was on that cross! (Matthew 27:45)

For one will scarcely die for a righteous person—though perhaps for a good person one would dare even to die—  but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. (Romans 5:7-8)

And the truly amazing part for me, the one thing that always jumps out at me when I read about the scene of the crucifixion is what happened as soon as he died:

And behold, the curtain of the temple was torn in two, from top to bottom. (Matthew 27:51)

The significance of this can’t be missed. The curtain in the temple was what separated the he Holy Place from the Most Holy Place, or the Holy of Holies, which symbolized the very presence of God in the temple. The Holy of Holies was off limits to everyone but the High Priest. When that barrier was removed at Jesus’ death, and note that it was torn from top to bottom (God reaching down to us vs. our efforts to reach up to Him), the way was opened for access to God through Christ. I can now enter into the very Throne Room of God! Hallelujah! He wants me to come in! Amazing!

This is why the writer of Hebrew implores us to come:

Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need. (Hebrews 4:16)

Because of what Jesus, our High Priest, has done, we can enter into God’s presence BOLDLY! He not only CAN answer our prayers, He WANTS to! What are we waiting for? This access cost Jesus His life! How can we neglect it or take it for granted? Thank you, Jesus, for this amazing gift! Just in case this doesn’t have you jumping up and down yet, I’m giving you this link this morning to my favorite Easter video. It’s short, but will have you shouting, “Amen!” Enjoy! Happy Easter to you all!  


No comments:

Post a Comment