Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Proverbs 14:10 Just between us...

One of the things that I treasure about my relationship with God is that there are some things that are just between Him and me. No matter how much I share with friends or family or even with my favorite confidante, no one, not even me, knows my heart like He does.

That thought came home to me one day when Molly, at the age of 5, had spent a weekend away from us with a friend. As I listened to her recount with joy all of the fun things she had done, and tried to envisage it, it struck me that most of her life would be completely separate from me. There were thoughts and adventures and sorrows that she would know that would only be known by her and God. She would have a special intimacy with God that would be just theirs. And then I realized that was true with each of us, and I just marveled at that. And the verse we’re looking at today is a poignant reminder of that:

The heart knows its own bitterness,

    and no stranger shares its joy. (Proverbs 14:10)

The reality is that when you are in the midst of great sorrow, no one but God can know the depth of your pain. Certainly others can grieve with you, and some will have been through something similar and will be able to empathize and even encourage you. But your true sorrow is known only to God. I think of my sister, Jodi, who lost her son Justin two years ago this month. As much as we all mourn with her, there is a solitary grief that only she and God fully comprehend.

And, conversely, no one can feel the height of your joy when you hold your first grandchild. Yes, your friends rejoice with you, and those who are already grandparents have an understanding, but only you and God know the particular joy of that bond you feel.

O Lord, you have searched me and known me! 

You know when I sit down and when I rise up;

    you discern my thoughts from afar.   

You search out my path and my lying down

    and are acquainted with all my ways. 

 Even before a word is on my tongue,

    behold, O Lord, you know it altogether... (Psalm 139:1-4)

 He gets us! I don’t know about you, but that just blows me away!  


No comments:

Post a Comment