Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Proverbs 15:3 He doesn't miss a thing!

About the time my girls entered middle school they were increasingly faced with choices outside the home that were beyond my ability to monitor. When they were spending nights out with friends they had to choose which movies or TV to watch, which music to listen to, etc. I resorted to reminding them, only half-joking since it was true, that, no matter where they were, Jesus was also with them and would be watching the same movie or listening to the same lyrics. Would He enjoy watching that movie or listening to that song? These reminders were always followed by a groaning, “Oh, Mom!” I think Molly took me seriously, but Emmy pretty much thought I was a major fuddy-duddy! :)

But our verse in Proverbs this morning confirms what I said!

The eyes of the Lord are in every place,

    keeping watch on the evil and the good. (Proverbs 15:3)

Now, some people find this creepy. They don’t like the fact that God is always watching! But I find this extremely comforting! There’s not a thing he misses, and, frankly, I’m glad! Not only does He know when what I’m doing, good or bad, but He CARES! He is a 24/7 God - watching over me and counting my hairs! I love it! And when He convicts me about something I’m doing, it’s actually a GOOD thing, because He’s trying to transform my thinking. He doesn’t want me conforming to the world so that I look exactly like it!

I couldn’t believe it when I saw this verse, though, because Emmy and I had just had that same conversation we had in junior high just this week! We were talking about our current culture, and I was expressing shock at some things Christian women will read or watch these days. I reminded her again that Jesus is right there with His people as we are involved in our activities, and we should be asking if it’s something He’s enjoying with us. And I got the same old response! :) She STILL thinks I’m a fuddy-duddy!

But I kind of wonder, if we applied this thought from Proverbs 15:3 as we made decisions about what we do, read, watch, or listen to in our free time, if it wouldn’t maybe just change our choices. Would I watch that DVD, would I read that book if they came with a warning label: “Caution: Jesus will be watching this with you?” I’m just asking...

Now, I’m not saying that I don’t ever watch or read something that might be considered a “guilty pleasure,” but I have certainly been known to turn off a program or quit reading a book if I thought it was taking me where I do not want to go! Here’s what I know is true. My recreation time is VERY limited. So when choosing what I do, I’m pretty sure I should probably be making wise choices, and fill my mind with those things that edify and work toward my transformation. Paul put it this way:

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. (Philippians 4:8)

This fuddy-duddy is going to try to make better choices!  

No comments:

Post a Comment