Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Proverbs 16:3-4 Guaranteed success!

Commit your work to the Lord,

    and your plans will be established. 
The Lord has made everything for its purpose,

    even the wicked for the day of trouble. (Proverbs 16:3-4)

These verses tell me I have a purpose. God created me for HIS pleasure (not my own), and He has a plan to use me. He thinks I’m useful! The NIV 1984 Bible translates verse 3 as “Commit to the LORD whatever you do, and your plans will succeed.” I think some have hoped that this meant if we make plans, then ask God to bless them, we will have guaranteed success in our ventures. But since verse 4 makes it clear that it is God who has the plans, it is HIS plans, not necessarily mine that will be successful. Therefore, if I commit myself to Him first and to seeking His plan, I will be part of accomplishing His work.

Rather than going ahead of Him and plotting out my life, I need to turn to Him and seek His direction. I’m currently in a period of seeking, wondering what He has for me next. There are a few doors that I could go through, or I can stay put. I’m seeking His leading, because I don’t trust myself! I’m not afraid to choose the wrong door, however, because I know He will ultimately close off the wrong avenue. But I’m also willing to wait. The reality is that WHATEVER I’m doing at any given moment in time needs to be done for Him, not for myself, because it’s NOT about me!

Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men,  knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ. (Colossians 3:23-24)

There is great peace in knowing that God is sovereign and that His plans will always be accomplished. I just want to be part of that, don’t you?  

No comments:

Post a Comment