Monday, April 15, 2013

Psalm 121: The 24/7 God

I’ve just returned from spring break! I lead a group of 12 students (4th-6th graders, including my grandson, Beau) and 6 parents to Williamsburg and Jamestown, VA and Washington, DC. It was a whirlwind tour that began at 7:00 each morning and ended at about 10:30 each night! Like a five day slumber party without donuts! It was a blast and we saw and learned so much! Amazingly enough, I’m actually not tire as I head back to school this morning!

I’m taking a quick break from the Proverbs today, because in my studies this past week, I read a favorite psalm that I just wanted to share. A few weeks ago I wrote about the fact that God is always watching over us, which I find very comforting. Well, this morning, I want to look at Psalm 121, which proclaims that very thing:

I lift up my eyes to the hills.

    From where does my help come?
My help comes from the Lord,

    who made heaven and earth.  

He will not let your foot be moved;

    he who keeps you will not slumber.
Behold, he who keeps Israel

    will neither slumber nor sleep.  

The Lord is your keeper;

    the Lord is your shade on your right hand.
The sun shall not strike you by day,

    nor the moon by night.  

The Lord will keep you from all evil;

    he will keep your life.
The Lord will keep

    your going out and your coming in

    from this time forth and forevermore.

Talk about security! God will not let my foot slip! He will watch over every move I make throughout the day, and He will lovingly watch over me while I sleep. I can rest in complete peace knowing that He guards me 24/7!!!

I have some major decisions coming up, and as I pray about the path to take, I am so encouraged by the fact that He will not let my foot slip. I may enter the wrong path, but I know that, if I do, it won’t be disastrous since my heart yearns to be in agreement with His heart. He will correct me and reorient me so that I fulfill the purpose for which He created me. He’s going to keep my going out and my coming in FOREVER!

Hidden in the middle there I find another encouraging note: in verse four He promises to also be watching over Israel continually. In view of the present circumstances of that nation, I am comforted to know that in spite of Israel being surrounded by enemies that would love to annihilate the nation, God has His eye on all of it - and He will protect Israel, as well.

God is sovereign! He has plans for me - He has plans for Israel - He has plans for you! He is at work around the clock keeping us (the words “keep,” “keeping,” and “keeper” appear six times in just eight verses). That lifts a bundle of stress from me about the decisions I face! I hope it blesses you, too!  

No comments:

Post a Comment