Thursday, April 25, 2013

Proverbs 17:17 Friends and sisters

So many of the verses in Proverbs are admonitions, that I LOVE finding the ones that just bless me!

A friend loves at all times,

    and a brother is born for adversity. (Proverbs 17:17)

I adore my friends! But being my friend requires a forgiving spirit, because I am so neglectful! When my girls were babies and school age, and I was an at-home mommy, I made some of the most amazing, lasting friendships! They are ones I cherish, because we did the hard job of parenting together! However, when I became a teacher at the age of 42 (Molly was a senior and Emmy a freshman in high school), I suddenly became isolated! I was so overwhelmed with just learning and improving my skills, I had no time left over for any kind of social life! If I didn’t see people at school, Bible study or church, I did not see them. I bless those friends that have hung in with me all these years of neglect!

I always joke with the volunteer parents in my classroom that they are going to be my new best friends, since I no longer have any! The truth is that some of them are now also cherished friends. I’m so thankful that I have worked at a school site for the past 21 years where God has given me so many beloved coworkers. We truly do life together!! I know I can count on them for support and prayer!

The older I get, the less time I seem to have. And any free time goes to the grandchildren! So, I have to MAKE time for friends. I have to set appointments to meet with the many people I love. I’m so grateful that Don understands my need to be with my girlfriends! He actually encourages me to meet with gals for dinner when I can.

I don’t want to ignore the second half of today’s verse! A brother or sister is the one we need during adversity! I am so blessed to have three sisters (all OLDER, by the way)! After many years of competing for the attention of our parents, we now lean on each other and pray for each other. We care about our nieces and nephews and love to rejoice with each other over their accomplishments. Even though two of my sisters live out of state, and we RARELY see each other, we have a bond that only we can have, because we share so many memories, both good and bad, that no one else knows. With both of our parents gone, we are now the “matriarchs” of the Frost clan. Instead of turning to Mom or Dad, we now turn to each other. It’s wonderful!

Jodi, the eldest, has been through so much the past two years, with the loss of her son, Justin, and battling multiple myeloma. It has been a reminder to the four of us how precious the time we have left together really is. It has also made any pettiness between sisters disappear. We don’t have time to do anything but love and encourage each other! God has blessed me with very dear friends - but He has also doubly blessed me with my sisters!

Do you have a friend who needs to hear from you or do dinner with you? Make the call and set a date! Time is too short!  

No comments:

Post a Comment